Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Cardboard Pets to Keep You Company


Three insanely abstract mice

I have been doing projects via Zoom with my grand-nieces during the Covid-19 shelter-in-place, and our most recent project involved working with recycled cardboard (and we all have a lot of delivery boxes to dispose of, right?). The images that sparked this project were posted by someone on Facebook, but sadly lacked attribution. If anyone knows the creative brain behind these cardboard masks, let me know and I will post a link here.

Cardboard masks

I decided that instead of making a huge face or mask, I would create a pet to keep me company during isolation. While originally thinking in terms of a zany cat or dog, it turns out I am no more capable of assuming responsibility for a fantasy pet than I am a real pet. So instead my thoughts turned to mice. I have had mice in my apartment before. They feed themselves, they entertain themselves, they let themselves in and out; they are the perfect pets for a self-absorbed, absent-minded artist type. 

Here are my mice. Materials include cardboard, metallic paint, puffy paint, wire, and beads. I plan on installing them down near the baseboards, peeking out from behind the furniture.

Mouse one

Mouse two

Mouse three (we call him "Gordito")

Grab some cardboard and create your own menagerie.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails