Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Thread Cupcake: A Textile Time Machine


Photo by Pam O'Connell

The thread cupcake above represents over five years of sewing, with snippets of thread from various projects added bit by bit. As you finish a line of stitching there is always thread left on the needle. Instead of going into the garbage, my thread goes into my thread cupcake. In effect, it is a textile time machine. No matter how much thread I add the cupcake seems to absorb it all. Based on what I am sewing, the dominant colors of the cupcake shift over time.

If you sew, I strongly recommend you start a thread cupcake of your own. If, for some reason, you cannot appreciate the wonder and meaning of a thread cupcake I don't really think we can be friends.

3 comments:

  1. We may be soulmates - I LOVE this sweet little cupcake (and thread and cupcakes, too)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear that. I feel most people just don't get the wonder of a thread cupcake.

      Delete
  2. This is fantastic! I love the idea of having a tactile, visual amalgamation of yuri sewing projects over time! I have to agree... anyone who doesn't like your thread cupcake probably wouldn't appreciate your awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails