Friday, November 26, 2010

Curate Your Neighborhood: We're Here, We're Ginkgos, Get Used to It!

The idea of curating my own neighborhood started with this hate crime against a ginkgo tree.


Note graffito on sidewalk saying "This tree is a faggot."

I created a reader panel and attached it to the support posts of the tree. This is on a well-traveled foot route around Lake Merritt in Oakland, California.



Click on image to see larger readable version.

I printed the ginkgo leaves on the sign by painting a leaf with copper paint and then making simple leaf prints. I may continue to curate the neighborhood, including the underground stream that keeps valiently breaking through the pavement on a side street, the Ethiopian hugging tree, and more. 

5 comments:

  1. Love it! And I just learned all kinds of things I never knew about Gingkos, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't not think that this is somehow meant to be funny or ironic or something like that. i think it's hope springing eternal, because i can't yet fully accept that the members of my state and area are this stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know liz - sorry. I recognize the graffiti from other scrawls around the neighborhood. I think it's just uneducated kids - thus the reader panel. One can always hope, and I do too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are most awesome. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Catherine,

    My friend introduced me to your Wonder Bread work and I am truly inspired by your creations.

    Just wanted to say thank you for protecting Gingko trees. I am from Tokyo and currently living in Palo Alto. Last year I picked up wonderful Gingko nuts locally and enjoyed them throughout the season. OK, nuts are surrounded by smelly flesh and it could be off putting but they are nutritious and one of the essential seasonal delicacies of traditional Japanese cuisine. Unfortunately the city cut down two beautiful, tall trees. Well, at least they replaced with male trees so its lovely color continues to cheer people up.

    Thank you for offering continuous inspiration and creativity.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails