Monday, November 1, 2010

Balance in Nature

This is the first of a two-part posting. Here we have balance in nature, next we have balance in a box. I figured out how to balance stones after seeing a guy do it on the San Francisco waterfront. It looked like magic but I figured if he could do it, I could too. I was right, and I proceeded to balance stones out in nature around the world, leaving little visual gifts for whoever came along next.






Balancing stones on Vancouver Island

To balance stones: 
1. Find a small, almost undetectable dent or nick in the base rock 
2. Pick a rock to balance - the more unlikely looking the better (tall ovoid shapes work well)
3. Place one end of the rock in the dent you've found and, holding the rock lightly, move it in small increments this way and that until it strikes a perfect balance. You get better at this the more you do it.

3 comments:

  1. I have to say that normally, I think your blog posts are clever and thought provoking and I love reading them.

    But this idea of leaving little balanced rock "gifts" for the people who follow is the PITS! I go into nature to see nature, which does not need your "improvements"! In fact, I always kick over these little "gifts" from people, I hate them so much. Leave things in nature the way you found them for those of us who follow, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarious! I'm pretty much a curmudgeon myself, but it never occurred to me that balanced rocks would enrage people. I'm going to keep balancing rocks because I enjoy it, because it doesn't really alter nature in any ay, and because the whole thing is so temporary, especially with people like you around! Feel free to kick them down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oH NO! ... and I always thought the miles of "river rock beaches" came "as is". How will I ever know how many Balanced Rock Improvements I have missed?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails