Monday, July 4, 2022

A Party in A Pothole

 

You are encouraged to zoom in

Like so much about America, our infrastructure seems to be crumbling - as evidenced by the killer pothole in front of my apartment building that has been trashing tires and wrecking suspensions for over five years now. Mysteriously, it is always filled with water due to a persistent leak that has stumped the city's finest for so long that they finally gave up.


Before

The pothole


To celebrate the 4th of July and all that America is becoming, I decided to turn the pothole into a resort. This hit and run installation project was made far easier by the fact that all of the streets surrounding Lake Merritt in Oakland are closed and barricaded to prevent out of control crowds and any one of a number of unfortunate events. As a result I was able to sprawl in the street while gluing all the little figures into place.

At least five people including a security guard stopped to ask if I was okay during this process, which I guess is to be expected when you are a white-haired woman in your seventies lying prone in the street. Not a single one of them showed even a trace of interest when I explained I was doing an art installation. This is fine with me. My installations are for the perpetually curious souls who tend to see fine detail and wondrous things when they go out into the world. I would be equally happy if I succeeded in bringing even a moment of amusement and puzzlement to one of our neighborhood crows.



The North Shore








Happy Fourth of July.

9 comments:

  1. This is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A playful and meaningful installation! It makes me smile. Greetings from Austria.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Playful and meaningful installation! It makes me smile! Greetings from Austria.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am one of those people and I LOVE THIS. Did you have the people in your house, or did you have to go find them? (second hand I'm sure)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a glorious pool party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ❤️ You! If only the majority of humans had an inkling of your creativity, the world would be a better place…

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you! You’re so creative

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails