Monday, September 28, 2020

Become a Walking Billboard

 

In honor of RGB

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Here is a quickie upcycle project that took less than a day.


1. Start by finding a shirt with a suitable simple neck opening. Rummage through your closet and find something you last wore so long ago you’ve forgotten about it entirely. Cannibalize it!


I have no idea why this picture is sideways, but it’s the pandemic and I can’t deal with it. Tilt your head.

2. Figure out how wide you want your collar to be. Make a little paper measuring tool as a guide, and mark the shirt all the way around using pencil. My width was constrained by the original garment, and was 2.25 inches.


Measure and mark

3. Cut out the collar along your markings.



4. Find some lace. This is one of those my-stash-is-better-than-yours scenarios. I have a whole bag of cards of lace that I got for a song at a recycle place in Oakland called the Depot for Creative Reuse. In your case, consider cannibalizing something else from your wardrobe.

Find some lace

5. Stitch the lace to the collar and if you like, add some embroidery. I always pre-draw or letter onto a piece of paper first until I like it, and then transfer to cloth using carbon paper.





6. Find something to wear that is simple and black. Don your collar, and hit the streets. 



Voila! You are a walking billboard.

Get out the vote.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails